Thursday 31 July 2014

Day 13 - Good food, good friends, and good news..!! #45daysofsummer

Again we are without WiFi (for the next couple of days possibly), so I will have to update this post with pictures at a later date! But pictures are not always necessary, and I hope for today, words will suffice.

Day 13 of my Summer, here in Germany, was another good one although it was challenging in various ways too. So far the week has been incredible but we all know that life is not always sunshine and rainbows.. 

I have had this trip planned for many months, with the intention of catching up with old friends, resting, exploring, using my free summertime to it's maximum potential... And it's not that I was unaware but perhaps I was expecting too vast a difference - life is the same wherever in the world you are.
My struggles and challenges and the things I am working out and working through have come with me to Germany. So these past two days I have been continuing to process and pray and cry a little too. 

And I know this is OK. 
I also know that I am not alone in any of it. 

Conclusions from yesterday:

I am thankful for Jessie (I have been thankful for her on other days too!). Thankful that she has come on this trip with me, that she is one of the funniest people I know who makes me laugh more than anyone else in the world, that she knows where I'm at and knows my heart, and that she is patient and encouraging and willing to stand with me. 

But more so (and of course Jess won't mind me saying this!) I am more thankful for God. And thankful to be reminded again that wherever I am, location-wise, in my head or my heart, on my journey, He is there. My 'stuff' comes with me, but my God is already there. He is right beside me, dwelling in me by His Spirit. 
I am not alone. And God is even more patient and encouraging, allowing me to experience all that I am this week, with friends, nostalgia, new experiences, adventure, fun.. but also allowing me to continue to face and work on the things I need to, to grow, to change.. albeit a painful process, but a good one. He is so good.

So that's a bit of what was going on under the surface of the day... now let me give you a quick run down of the rest of the days events! (pictures to follow!)

Jerina, who was on Pais in Canada the year after I came home to England, lives in Frankfurt which is only an hour by train from Marburg. She arrived just before 10am and we all had a remeniscent Canadian style breakfast (pancakes, maple syrup, bagels, cream cheese, blueberries, fruit salad etc..). Needless to say, delicious!

Then we went out to expore the city some more - I have some great photos of the city from up high, at another local landmark (which sadly I can't remember the name of... I do remember that there were A LOT of stairs involved though!). This was followed by Casserole, a typical German dish (again, delicious!) and then our goodbyes were made... :(

The tower we climbed..

Top of the tower, here with Jerina!

View of Marburg.

The journey to Keltern began. :)
No storms this time, yay! In fact, minus the quick detour we had to Mannheim (just to say we've been there.. there is a German band both Jessie and I love called Söhne Mannheim), we made pretty good time until we actually made it to Keltern and got lost. After meeting what felt like half the village to ask if anyone knew 'Frederick Beck' (surprisingly, it seems that everyone does know him.. and each person got us a little closer to finding his house!) But we arrived finally, to see the lovely Anna. She had made Spezel (not sure of the spelling of that, I will have to find out) - basically a baked dish with pasta, vegetables and sauce (again, delicious!! Danke Anna!)

When Freddy arrived home, we drank Irish coffee and ate dessert and we heard their good news... THEY'RE ENGAGED! (Cute picture of them with their rings to come.. honest!)
They have been engaged since June and are announcing it mostly as they see or speak to people. Of course they told us the story of how and when (so unbelievably romantic!) but we were privileged to be the first people to whom they told the story in English!! So cute! :)

The rest of the evening was spent eating more dessert, catching up, playing music, booking tickets for the William Fitzsimmons gig we are going to tonight... and then, finally, to bed!



The above are pretty self I explanatory. We stopped off in Mannheim for some quick snaps of the city!

The happy couple - Freddy & Annschön and their rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment