Saturday 23 August 2014

Minor kitchen fires, missionary tales and another week at camp. Day 36 & 37 of my #45daysofsummer

After a lie in yesterday morning, and after Betsy almost set the kitchen on fire while the rest of the house was sleeping (she was baking delicious treats for dessert later in the day but the baking paper caught on fire in the oven - all was fine though and she put it out and I helped her clean up the ashes of burned paper. Thankfully that was all!) I nipped to the Post Office to send a couple of letters and then we went for lunch round Laura and JPs house.

Their mum, Sara, is American and their dad, Antonio, is Spanish (and looks like a movie star, it has to be said). We had Gespazo for starter (cold, vegetable soup - sounds awful, tastes wonderful!) and a Tex-Mex main with Betsy's 'Mana de Cielo' (Manna from Heaven) for dessert. Although sometimes speaking English whilst over here can feel like I'm missing an opportunity to learn more Spanish, I didn't really mind yesterday. The family were so interesting and talked to me in English so I figured it was OK to respond in my native language and actually have some quality conversations! Antonio told me about how he and his colleagues used to smuggle Christian resources into Bulgaria to support the underground church there during the Communist period, how they had to memorise all the details of their travels and the people they were meeting so as not to have any evidence on them that would give others away if they were caught. He told me of a friend of his who recently passed away, who led the UK branch of The Navigators for many years, and who lived in Erdington. And I was able to respond and talk about the New Wave Camp that Zion is connected with in Bulgaria and my visits their, how I have friends who are involved in the Navigators and how my Grandad and some of my family live in Erdington! What a tiny little world. Sara made me English tea and told me about how her and Antonio met in the US when they were both 33, and how she had prayed for a man just like him for many, many years. She told me the story of why and how they came to adopt Laura and JP over 10 years ago, from a Bulgarian orphanage and what it's been like raising a family in Spain, struggling with the language, the culture of León but feeling called to here. For some time, they were considering moving to Africa as Antonio is an eye surgeon and works out there for some weeks every Summer, but they both felt God clearly close the door for that and therefore they are staying put in León continuing their work there.

How utterly refreshing it was to meet them, to hear their stories and be encouraged and inspired. I wished we could have stayed longer but Betsy and I had a bus to catch.

The journey back to Toral was only 45 minutes and then a short walk from the bus stop to the camp.
Many people had already arrived; many familiar faces but also many new ones! I felt a lot more confident to introduce myself to people or be introduced and have things to say! I met so many people, young and old, and had quite a few pretty long conversations with various people before we all ate together and then wandered over to Calle Mayor (the other house) for songs with Betsy to end the evening! It is the Family Camp this week, and almost every age group is covered: babies, kids, teens, young parents, not-so-young parents, grandparents.. I think the only age group that seems to be significantly lacking is the 20s. I am here of course, and Betsy, Diego and a couple more coming tomorrow - but our age group feels a bit thin on the ground sadly. I suppose it's a difficult age at which to come to a camp with your family.. I hope that's the only reason.

But anyway, I'm very excited that Lluna is back for the week! And she had gifts for me - a bracelet, a book that is both in English and Spanish for learning the language, and a calendar with a verse and devotional for every day of the year (for 2010, but it's for the practice rather than the calendar!)! She also excitedly introduced me to all of her family, who said they had heard a lot about me, and it's great that she has been able to recognise how much I have improved in the last couple of weeks while she's been away.

This morning, after devotions (at a more acceptable hour for this week's camp - 9am!) and breakfast, I was back to my cleaning duties, which I have come to really enjoy to be honest. It's good having the time to be quiet and reflect, but I also love the opportunity to sing along to music while there's no one at the camp! :) having already spent 2 weeks here earlier this month, I feel like I know the ropes pretty much. I still need to ask questions and I'm learning pretty much all the time, but people who are new here have asked me where they can find things or questions about how things work and I have been able to help without feeling the need to apologise for my lack of words or knowledge. I must look like I know what I am doing!

Thankfully this week, there seems to be a lot of space in the schedule and in general, there is already quite a different feel from the last two camps. Already I am getting to practice speaking more with different people (which is enjoyable & important but also mentally & physically exhausting) but there is more time for me to rest and pray and write, and hopefully be in some kind of fit state to start back at work a week on Monday, just a day after I return!
Ooh there's nothing quite like a jam-packed Summer! #45daysofsummer #notmanyleft

No comments:

Post a Comment