Thursday 7 August 2014

Day 21 - Ed Sheeran is not dangerous. #45daysofsummer

One important thing about learning a language is that you shouldn't take yourself too seriously because you are definitely going to make mistakes. The funniest one for me so far is in a conversation I had with Lluna the other day about Ed Sheeran. She really likes his music! I agreed and we said he's very talented. Then we got on to talking about his hair and how pale he is (as my pale skin has been a large part of a lot of conversations so far this week!). Describing him as ginger, I said "Es peligroso!" And Lluna burst out laughing. She said "No es peligroso... es pelirojo." (Peligroso is 'dangerous'!) Ah fun times making innocent mistakes in Spanish. Thankfully there haven't been any really bad ones yet! Hopefully none to come..

This is Lluna by the way. She is 19, from Barcelona and is a second year med student at university. Spanish is her second language (her first is Catalan) and she speaks pretty good English so she helps me to understand a lot!

At the camp, we must get through about 10 watermelons (sandías) a day.. We eat it so much!!!

Today, I found out the times for the concerts we are doing this weekend. Friday's starts at 10:30pm and Saturday's at 11pm!! So late! But apparently it's because there wouldn't be any people around to watch us if they were any earlier, because the Spanish are night owls! I'm using my siesta time wisely I assure you - sleeping..!

This is the choir practising today. Just one more day before the concerts begin!! Ahh!

The talent show last night was so good. There was so much variety - in the type of people who performed and the style they performed in. Here are some snaps I got of those who took part:


Eva y Choco - they did a skit where they dressed up like children and the person sat behind them pretended to be their arms and they were baking a cake.. It was hilarious! Absolutely brilliant! Not sure I explained it well but it was seriously funny.

Esther, Andrea y Cristina made a video where they dressed up and danced in the park. I was thinking whether it would have been funny in England or not, but for a camp talent show, I think it would have been! It was very well done!

Anna played us some classical piano, a piece by Chopin. 

Antonio sang two reeeally traditional songs, one from the South of Spain and another one which he did tell me about but I didn't catch everything he said. His voice is so powerful!

Pablo and the band did a couple of jazz songs to show off his Saxophone skills. Sólo good!

Guille sang a song with band. I didn't catch what it was, but everyone seemed to know it and was singing along!

Nata played and sang a song in Catalan, called Sin Ti (without you).

Mara has an incredible voice and has a couple of solos in the choir songs too.

Overall, it was a fantastic night!

And afterwards, I also broke my personal record of how long I have spoken in Spanish for - I was chatting with a few people after the talent show, Diego and Elisa mostly, and managed to hold down a coversation (totally in Spanish) for about 45minutes. I told Lluna when I got back and she was so proud haha! I bet we didn't cover half as much content as we might have in English but that's not the point. I also got told (by Antonio, in the picture above) that my accent is really good. He said most Americans sound so American when speaking Spanish, but I don't sound English when I speak! Yayy!

No comments:

Post a Comment