Tuesday 26 August 2014

Day 38 & 39 - Baptisms, Rock jumping, and catching wildlife. #45daysofsummer

Last week was my intended week of rest, but it has actually turned out that this week is looking more like that. There is a lot of room in the schedule for time to rest (descansar). I'm really enjoying it so far! I've had time to read (I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns at the moment and it's heart wrenching but really good and so I love that there are a spare few minutes every so often, which means I can have a quick lie and down and read of another chapter or two!!)

On Sunday, a few of us made the journey back to León for baptisms at the church there. 8 people were baptised, including Bianca and Robert (the daughter and son of the family I stayed with). It was quite formal and there were definite differences between baptism services that I have previously been too (for example, they all had to dress in white, and they can't take communion until after they are baptised so that was their first time taking it) but there were also lots of similarities (the baptism tank was under the stage, they all shared their testimony of how God has been at work in their life and why they are getting baptised, they also say the same phrase only in Spanish, 'on confession of your faith, I baptise you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit'). Interesting service (although also very long - just over two hours) but a good experience!

Bianca sharing her testimony

About to be dunked.

Robert giving his testimony.


Afterwards, we hung out with a larger group of the young people from the church as a kind of after party with nibbles, before taking a stroll to the park. Thankfully I had my mini suncream bottle with me so didn't burn because it was so hot. Before getting the bus back to Toral, we swung by McDonald's for a McFlurry (they are pretty much exactly the same as in England only the staff are kindly willing to give you extra sauce so I had Oreo with Caramel sauce (McFlurry de Oreo con salsa de caramelo) mmmm...

That evening, we tried to watch 'In Time' but it was getting really late and some of us were feeling pretty tired so we called it a night.
On previous nithts, we have played games together and I was quite excited to be able to co-lead one of the games (thankful for my experience helping in Resound with the young people at Zion which has meant that I have a bank of ideas for games stored in my head!) I was all ready to explain it to everyone, nervous, but felt I had the words to explain the rules and the aim of the game, but the girl leading the session got a bit carried away and explained it all before I got the chance too.. But the intention was there! And I got to explain parts of it to different groups.

Explaining to members of each group what their task was!

A different game that night - groups had to act out a famous story for people to guess what it was. I think this was my favourite ever rendition of Little Red Riding Hood. Very impressive!

Actually, something else that I've noticed and really enjoyed about the atmosphere here, (and I don't know if it's just because they are away at camp but..) the adults are well up for getting involved with games, activities and action songs! 

Yesterday, we made a one and half hour drive to a 'local' lake (Lago de Sanabria), and in the sweltering heat, feeling rather travel sick, I sure was hoping that it would be worth it.




It was.

The water was FREEZING though. They say 'helada' to describe reeally cold, which is like saying it's as cold as ice cream! We had packed lunches and basically just sat around, chatting, eating (we had yellow watermelon again today - had to take a picture!!), swimming a bit, the kids were catching fish and frogs and snakes (!!) And we swam out to those rocks on the photo. People were jumping from them and I really tried but I just couldn't do it. It's one thing that I hope I will be able to do one day in my life, but sadly today wasn't the day. I'm not frightened to be up at any height really, but the prospect of jumping from that height is just too much and my legs won't move. Even though my head reeeeally wants me to and I can think of how excited I would be after doing it, and how I'd probably really enjoy it, and how it's not really that far down to jump anyway.. it doesn't matter. I can't jump.
Perhaps one day. I hope one day. It is so frustrating but something I haven't managed to conquer yet.

Sandía amarilla. Mmm :)

Joel with the frog he caught. He also caught four fish in a bottle and brought them back to camp, I think with the intention of keeping them as pets. But this morning, I was told that they died over night. Sad times..

Joel's brother, Josué, with the snake!!!

With Betsy, little Elsa and Maria. Look ridiculous in my hat but it's been a necessary burden in my time here, to protect my head as my hair does a very bad job of that!

The journey back (less car sickness this time) had us singing Musicals and Disney songs - the girls singing the Spanish versions and me singing the English versions, and Maria's dad in the front starting off songs by the Beatles and other old school famous tunes!

Today I have heard rumours that we may be going to some kind of water park but it is a little over cast and I'm wondering whether that will still be the plan as sometimes, weather like this is suggestive of a heavy summer storm that hits out of the blue! We shall see..

No comments:

Post a Comment