Monday 18 August 2014

Day 32: Nothing is Wasted. #45daysofsummer

Today, a group of young people from the church here in León went for a walk around a local mountain park. It's not fair to say we went on a mountain walk, because although I think the place was called a mountain, it wasn't that mountain-like and the walk to park was longer than the actual walk itself. Anyway, regardless of where exactly we walked, walk we did and it was very (very!) hot today. We stopped a few times. First for a devotional time, which Betsy led and we spent some time praying for some situations that the youth have going on and for situations around the world.



We also stopped for food. And later just to rest in some shade (I napped on a bench. Well needed). And later again, on the way home, to dip our feet in the river. It was so cool and refreshing!



During the summer months, you're not allowed to have BBQs in the parks because they have so little rain here that fires can start and spread really easily. On the way there and back, we passed a field that was a perfect example of this.
It was all charred and burned, remnants of what once filled the field lay scattered around and the faint scent of fire filled the air as we passed.
But in amongst the ashes, new life was growing - plants finding nourishment in harsh conditions. Dry and perhaps weary, but alive and persevering.


I was reminded of a song that I needed to remember again today. It filled my head and the words sank deeply into my heart and reminded me that in the hands of my redeemer, nothing is wasted. 

From the ruins
From the ashes
Beauty will rise
From the wreckage
From the darkness
Glory will shine.

I sure hope so. I'm choosing to trust Him.

Feel like I've hit a bit of a wall the past couple of days, but I think that's only because I had three full on weeks and have finally got some time to slow down (although it's not feeling that slow yet and that also probably has something to do with it!) I am still learning, but people can tell I'm tired and I feel less willing to try and speak unless I really need to! Ah it's such a challenge learning a new language like this. Aboslute kudos to people who have moved to different countries and learnt the language whilst living there / set up their life / made new friends etc.. It ain't easy!
But I am encouraged that Nothing is Wasted. My God is creative, and has a plan. He is using me here and is using this experience to shape me somehow! Like the plants in the field, though I am weary, I'm persevering. 

And I just heard that we're having a girls day out at the beach tomorrow. That's more like it. Vamos a la playa!

No comments:

Post a Comment