Tuesday 26 August 2014

Day 40 - Museum of Chocolate. Educational and Tasty. #45daysofsummer

Two posts in one day is a record I think! But while I have the time, I'm taking the opportunity because I never know when the next chunk of free time long enough to write in will be!

Today, we didn't go to the water park because the sky was threatening rain, but also because some people wanted to go ahead with the original plan, to visit Astorga.


Got more time to read today as well (during siesta time.. Instead of sleeping! Ahh couldn't put the book down!) While walking back to the camp earlier, I remember the House Martins that I wanted to take a picture of. They have nests EVERYWHERE here. It's amazing! In the morning, just outside the windows of the top floor where us girls are sleeping, there are dozens of them flying around welcoming in the morning!! I will try and get a photo of them but today I only managed to get a photo of some of their nests and one little guy in the top right corner. 


I'm glad we ended up in Astorga this afternoon. I was there last weekend too (with Bianca and her family, to visit El Palacio de Gaudi and for the church plant there) but this time I was with Lluna, her parents and a couple of other families from the camp and saw lots more of the city.

First stop?

El Museo de Chocolate. (Which ticks off another activity in the Earls Summer Scrapbook! Go to a museum!)

Oh yes. It was tiny, but very interesting! We watched a video of how the chocolate there was made in the olden days, and then how it has been improved using machines but, although a fairly long process, it looked quite simple! And we got some free samples at the end too!

Lots of signs saying 'no tocar' (don't touch!) Wasn't sure if this was real chocolate or not..

The original process of how they made chocolate. (Toast / Roast the beans, then separate the parts with your hands, melt it on a hot rock, mix with sugar, mold in to the tablet shape, mark to make pieces, allow to set and wrap.) Simple, right?!


Then we took a wander through the city, past beautiful churches, Roman ruins, and gorgeous views of the surrounding areas.

Thought this was great! Chess!

In the summer, they have concerts in the square but we were there a bit too early for that. We were there in time for the 7 o' clock chime of the bell though - and the two little statues at the top move and chime the bells.

A lovely little catholic church but really busy with decor and painting at the front!

These Roman ruins were really interesting. They are apparently one of the best conserved / preserved (not sure which is correct there?) of a Roman house, with baths and mosaic floors. 

It was so nice spending time with Lluna and her family. She has four siblings, and they all get along and are so sweet! Her folks have made a real effort to involve me in things and make sure I understand what's going on at various points this week. I actually find their accents (they're from Barcelona) really easy to understand - it's one of the clearest accents and makes things some much easier in a conversation!! The learning process feels very easy :) I even been able to chat with them about England and places they should visit next time they go - they love London and have been quite a few times but want to branch out and visit other places!
People here have a lovely expression, 'tienes casa' - 'you have a home'. I know we say that in England too, but Mihaela and Lluna have both said that to me and how lovely it is to know that I have homes here in Spain! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment