Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 26. Betsy, La Cumpleañera. #45daysofsummer

While the kids are singing, I have snook (is that a word?!) out to get some WiFi, and want to write quickly and tell you about Betsy. She is the director of this camp - the Football and English camp.


 It's her birthday today, she turned 29, and she is truly amazing! We have sung happy birthday (Cumpleaños Feliz) to her about 7 times today and she's getting a bit sick of it haha but I think she appreciates it really!

(Not a great pic!) Betsy blowing out the candles on her cake during La Cena (dinner) this evening. Little Sara (who is blurred her!) bought the cake in for her :)

The gift we got for her - a jar packed full of her favourite sweets!

She has an incredible voice and sang a solo in the concersts on the weekend, but she also writes a lot of the songs that the kids sing here, complete with actions, and yesterday she wrote one especially to go with the memory verse of the day. It's brilliant, and is about having humility - just another great way for them to remember the verse and take it to heart.

Singing in the Velada tonight!

But not only is she creative and super talented, she is hilarious. Like, really really funny.

I have been praying that at some point I will start to be able to understand jokes in Spanish because that's one of the hardest things really - following the conversation enough to fully understand and reach the punch line. To be honest, I can't say I've managed it yet, and miss most of the funny things that are said (which makes me feel a little sad, so that's why I've been praying specifically for this!) but God has blessed me so much with meeting Betsy because she is really sarcastic and even though I can't understand funny stories in full yet, I can get some of her one-liners or come backs and have laughed a lot this week! Plus, when she tries to speak English, it's the most hilarious thing you've ever heard.
Today she said 'please can I put my body on the plate of the shower' when she was simply asking to go for a shower! I know it's not quite as funny reading it like that but it was a rather hysterical moment for us and the chicas in my group who tried correcting her!

So today (and this week generally), I am so very thankful for Betsy, for her fun and gentle spirit, for her creativity, her warm welcome and for all that she is doing at the camp in the lives of these young people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment