Thursday 14 August 2014

Day 27 & 28 - Perhaps I'm just not meant to be tanned! #45daysofsummer

So I got sunburnt on my knees whilst writing my post on Monday. On my knees. And only there. 20 minutes in the sun without suncream and I burn. I burnt again today, only a little, on my head, playing volleyball with the girls without a hat on (and Eli and I lost 13-12 as well.. Not a good game!!) Ah I'm so not created for the Spanish weather... Thankfully, Lluna gave me the rest of her factor 50 to use after she went home (they all wear high factor suncream here! Woo!) and I've been using it all the time. We go to the pool every afternoon, and whenever walking to the other house or when at the football training sessions, we're outside. So I'm definitely getting a lot of sun exposure but I've come to the sad conclusion that my legs no longer tan. They just don't change colour. My shoulders have lightly browned, my face and feet slightly, but that's about it.

Also, I feel the need to say that despite it being a camp to learn English, I am still speaking a lot (ish) of Spanish because the majority of the leaders who I am working quite closely with, don't speak English so everything to do with them is still in Spanish! And I am finding that I am understanding more and more, which is really exciting (still nowhere near all, feel the need to make that clear - but loadsss more than when I arrived)! But I still find talking the hardest part. Honestly, you've never seen me so quiet for this amount of time! I'm getting better at it though and definitely improving! And people keep asking me questions and involving me so it's all good :)

When the Brazilians got here on the weekend, one of the girls asked me what cup was in Spanish - I got to tell her (tazo) and felt very native haha! And in the kitchen over the past few days, when my group of chicas has been on washing up duty, we've been singing along to songs on the radio - normally English! - and I've been able to translate some of the lyrics to Spanish for them so they know what they're singing (some of the songs have awful lyrics so its been awkward sometimes, but good to inform them of what they're singing about and encourage them not to!). It's also been quite a cool feeling, when speaking with the Brazilians, that our common language is Spanish so that's sometimes been the easiest way to communicate when they don't speak English!

The last two days have been full day of football, food, and learning more about Jesus. The messages each day have been focussed on one aspect of God, and therefore one response that we can have to that. The memory verses have been about these too, and the Brazilians have made really great videos of each day as well, which are shown before bed! I featured on one today, taking (and scoring) and penalty, and going for a jog with Betsy and Bianca!
Each day I'm getting to know my group of chicas and the whole group of niños more, which I'm really enjoying.. Although it feels like this week has been a long one, and has had it's challenges, it has been very good and I know I've learnt a lot. And already, tomorrow is the last full day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment