Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 19 - mi cerebro esta frito. #45daysofsummer #45díasdeverano

So, I am two days in to my Spanish experience and here are some of my observations so far:

  • Spanish people eat a lot. Like, loads. The meals aren't always massive, but they just occur so frequently!! And it might just be that I'm at a youth camp but they also snack loads too! No idea where they put it all...


  • I have totally underestimated the effort / skill of anyone who has learnt another language and become proficient. I wasn't expecting to find this easy at all, in fact, it's been a lot less scary than I anticipated but I just couldn't comprehend the level of frustration and challenge before I actually got here. I have learnt pretty quickly to say, mi cerebro esta frito (my brain is fried).


  • Everybody wants to learn English. They do. It's hard sometimes to get them to speak Spanish to me because obviously I find it difficult to communicate clearly sometimes or understand what they're saying first time, but they also jump at any chance to practice speaking English to me! At least if they're learning too, we're all learning together.. 
  • Everyone says hello to each other as they pass on the street. It's like I imagine it would have been in the olden days in England. Or when you're walking the dog up Clent. It's just a given, and its really nice and friendly :) and if I respond with "Buenos dias" or something like it, other than my hair colour, I reckon they could think I'm Spanish!
  • After only one day here, everyone seemed to slow down when speaking. Of course, this didn't actually happen. But its amazing that even in such a short amount of time, my brain has begun to recognise loads more words, and although I don't know what most of them mean, I can take in the individual words rather than it seeming like people are speaking at a million miles an hour! So I am getting loads better at picking up the general topic of conversation now :)

OK.. So quick overview of what's actually going on here!
I am currently helping at a camp in a town called Toral. I'll be staying here for three different camps, and this one is a music camp. After devotions (los devocionales) and breakfast (desayuno), I help out with an hour or so of cleaning duties (limpio los servivios y los suelos) and then get to join the choir for the rest of the day! They are learning about 12 songs to perform at two concerts this weekend - one in the local town, and one at a castle in a town a few miles from here. I think, but I'm not sure yet, that I'll get to perform with them.. We'll see. Either way though, it's been really fun spending time with them, doing what I love and feel able to do (singing!) whilst also working on learning the language (which I am definitely less confident at, but it's going well!)
My favourite times so far are the evenings - at 10:45pm (very specific!) we have an hour of group games. Yes, for all who are wondering, I am still very competitive even when everything is in another language... And the people here have been so quick to welcome me straight in and make sure I know what's going on!!
There have been a few times when I've felt a bit wobbly and emotional already - feeling nervous, and a bit lonely because it's so hard to communicate properly. But as time goes on, that is getting less and I do feel like I'm getting to know people more and more!

One of the games last night where people had to propose to each other in the funniest / most romantic way. It sounded amazing although I didn't understand most of it!

Another game, where two people had to make up an amusing dialogue to go along with a serious part of a movie.

The choir.

The band (are amazing!).

Reading from sheet music! Feeling professional... 

No comments:

Post a Comment