Saturday 16 August 2014

Days 29 & 30. Even at my weakest, I am loved. #45daysofsummer

In some ways it feels like these two weeks have gone so slowly, yet in other ways, I can't believe I've already completed two camps and I've survived for this long in another language!

I suppose most of all, I can't believe there are only 14 days left of the summer holidays. That's 13 of my adventures and 1 little day in there at the end for recovery and cultural re-adjustment before going back to work (and it's a great feeling to be excited about the next year at Earls and then about whatever God has planned for me after that!)

But for now.. the past two days! 

Yesterday, the last full day at the camp, we all went along to the football training. The honest intention was for me and Eli to beat Betsy and Bianca in volleyball, but we didn't have a ball so we couldn't play. Instead, we joined the monitors as they played the Brazilians in a final game of football. I can proudly say we drew. 0-0. And I touched the ball about 3 times in the match. I'll take that!

Later in the afternoon, instead of going to the swimming pool, we had group water activities stationed around the block that the camp is on and in the local park. These planned activities turned in to a village-wide water fight with around 50 kids and adults running round the streets with buckets of water!
I actually made the video again last night (the end of day video that the brasilians make with photos and video clips from the day, and a short devotional message). This time I was on there with my epic fall in one of the water activities, that happened to be recorded on someone's mobile. You can trust me that it was hilarious, and in slow motion too. Yay! Haha. Honestly though, I did hurt my head a bit and my neck has been quite stiff since.. Plus I've had tooth ache (wisdom teeth mean I'm getting wiser, right?) and I cut my finger quite badly on Thursday, although thankfully it has healed really quickly! For some reason I've been clumsily in the wars the past couple of days but I'm still standing and think (hope.. pray..) that the next week should be less hazardous. Can't say that for the week after as have no idea what the final camp (de familias) will be like! I'm flying by the seat of my pants this summer, and learning to be OK doing that! God hasn't let me down since and I've been provided for in every possible way with absolutely more than enough!

Last night was the final dinner of the camp and I was totally overwhelmed by everyone singing a simple song of thanks to the cook (which is a normal 'summer camp' thing to do I think!) which turned in to a raging torrent of thanks and celebration, people waving their napkins, standing on chairs, shouting, singing, clapping. United and grateful and enjoying every minute! It was such an experience! 

I also made a little friend called Isra who has been my shadow this week. He's about 12 I think but he's only tiny! Although he spoke very little English he persisted in talking to me, sitting on my table every meal time, next to me during the songs and games on the evenings.. even though I was constantly asking him to repeat his questions and talk more slowly! He bought me an ice cream the other day with his tuckshop allowance, so I gave him a box of my skittles last night in return. He's a proper little gentleman and I'm going to miss him!! 

I think his example, and generally the experience that I've had with most people here has been so deep and profound for me. In some ways over the past few months, I've definitely not being at my best, yet in other ways I think I have been because I know that God has brought me to this place in my life (not literally, to Spain, but to where I'm at spiritually, relationally, emotionally etc.) and I arrived here in Spain still dealing with so much head and heart stuff, balancing feeling broken and messy and yet complete and walking in God's plan for me, with so many prayers and having so much that I hoped God would do.. I can barely speak the language so communication is obviously the biggest challenge. I have spoken very little compared to normal, had too much time to think sometimes, misunderstood instructions and got things wrong, been too nervous to try things sometimes (not often, but sometimes!), felt like such a burden when asking for things to be repeated again and again, made mistakes when speaking..
The people I've met here haven't had me at what I would consider my best.
Not in the slightest. 

And yet, they have accepted me. Loved me. Shown me patience. Taught me new things. Been my friend. It's been a challenge on both sides. But they haven't minded. They haven't judged. 

How this reminds me so much of what God does for me. Accepts me. Loves me. Shows me patience. Teaches me new things. He's not only my God but He's my friend. And he judged me worthy of the death of His son so I might know Him.
He has been so close this week, whispering encouragement and truth to me in the times of quiet and confusion and questioning. Stirring things up that I would rather He not, but in the process, showing me that I am loveable even at my weakest and even when people fail me, He does not and will not. 

Thank you God.


We had to leave the camp pretty sharpish this afternoon because the minibus driver wanted to go quickly (I think he had a whole day of driving ahead, taking people to various places, stations, airports etc.) And this sadly meant that I didn't have much time to say bye to the people who were still there! Some I will see tomorrow at church, and some next week at the final camp of the summer, but some I had to give a quick hug to and then I was off (yay for Facebook!) And now I am here at my hosts for the week, in León with Bianca and her family, and Betsy will be arriving later tonight. I am so thankful for their hospitality and welcome - and its really exciting to be in a family / home environment for a short time to have some time to properly rest and unwind... Ahh.
Here's to the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment