Wednesday 30 June 2010

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I didn't inherit the 'cooking gene'.
Neither of my parents are particularly genius in that area. I can muster up a baked potato, or a bowl of pasta with tomato sauce. Survival. Not extravagance.
My mom was never one for home-cooked meals or baking or anything like that.
And it's not necessarily a bad thing; our oven is actually horrendous (and this is not the bad workman blaming his tools!), it's honestly a terrible, terrible oven and if it doesn't burn everything that enters it (which is does) then it shorts the fuse for the whole of our downstairs. Yay.
Why would we bother?
So this is not a complaint. Merely an observation! I don't blame her at all for not teaching me to cook. Some people just have that ability. Some don't. We don't. Haha.
My mom taught me an awful lot more valuable things, and she is more of a quality time sort of person. I inherited that from her.
Plus we're all happy with baked spuds and penne!

Anyway, yesterday we tried our hand at cooking Chickpea and Spinach Curry with Tofu, and also had steamed rice using my new rice maker! This from a recipe I picked up from my hosts in my first year in Canada.
It turned out pretty good, and went down well with all who tried it!

Chickpea and Spinach Curry with Tofu, thanks to Tamara.

This morning was the attempt at making dessert: Granola Bars. Chocolate Chip and Cranberry.
Donna KP-style. Canadian-style.
:)
(No picture though I'm afraid!)
Although slightly crumbly (not to mention approx. 1 billion calories per mouthful) they were incredibly tasty, and were finished in time for Matt and Becky to take a couple as they left for the airport (jetting off to Tenerife for 2 weeks!)

The many things I'm thankful for?
~chance to make lovely memories with my wonderful mom! (even if that's running round the house with make-shift fly-swatters eliminating the fruit flies which took over our pantry...)
~the time to enjoy each others company (in the same continent, country, town, house.. first time in four months.)
~that Spain beat Portugal in the World Cup Quarter Finals this evening. WOOHOO!
~the hottest week of the year (hurray for lasting sunshine!)
~God's faithfulness, even when I'm not. (2 Thessalonians 3:3)

I am blessed. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment