Monday 14 June 2010

My filthy rags

Pastor Mark gave a sermon at Village (www.myvillagechurch.org) this morning on Philippians 3.
The Apostle Paul is such a dude. Seriously.
He's so audacious. He's totally unafraid to speak the truth, and he does so without a hint of pride or arrogance.
'If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more'
And he sure does. Any guy who can say this, mean it, and still remain humble, is officially a dude.

He goes on to list the reasons why he's levitically righteous but then disregards it all for the sake of Christ. Sure, there's a profit which comes from being a good Christian and upholding the law. But it's nothing, nothing, compared to knowing Christ.
Paul acknowledges that true righteousness, the kind that matters, is only attained through faith in Christ. Working to earn our salvation by keeping the law, is not only contrary to the Gospel message, it's not even possible.
'How then can we be saved? ...all our righteous acts are like filthy rags' (Isaiah 64:6)

The only way to the Father is through the Son. Jesus paved the way already. We are saved by grace. And grace alone.
I totally underestimate what a privilege it is to know Christ, and how faith in Him counts for infinitely more than my own attempts at securing salvation.

Why do I find this so hard to remember?
Time again, I hold my filthy rags up to my Saviour and seek His approval, as if they actually make a difference.
It makes not a spec of difference to my salvation. That's already secured. But I think He'd be pleased I'm trying at least. If it's for His pleasure and Glory and nothing else.
I can imagine Jesus, in His grace, taking those worthless old rags from me, and holding them dearly in His bloody fist as they crucify Him in punishment for my wrongdoings.
Oh how He loves us.
This concept of grace is so hard to grasp..

No comments:

Post a Comment