Tuesday 11 January 2011

Answered Prayers

Titus 2:3-5
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behaviour, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

Last week I saw God answer a prayer I've been praying since May last year..

Upon deciding to leave Canada and finish working with Pais, to return to England and start University I realised that I would be leaving the comfy Christian bubble I had become used to, and would be re-entering normal society!!
Whilst that thought excited me a huge amount, it also scared me too.
I remember sitting in a Petra's coffee shop with Rebecca and talking through my concerns of how my faith wouldn't be strong enough to survive University life... (how deceitful the enemy can be some times!) and I recall Rebecca saying that one of the most important things I need to do is find a network of godly women who can stand by me, pray for me, support and encourage me throughout my time at university - so start praying.

And pray I did.
Over pages of my notebooks, I have small scribbled prayers that God would provide these women for me to look up to and learn from and confide in.

And there have been times this week, in fact no, I need to correct that - not just this week, there have been times throughout the past six months where God has blatantly answered this prayer and put godly women directly in to my life for specific purposes.

My mom, Sue, Jo, Chez, Becci, Vicky, Claire, Allenia, Rebecca, Ruth, Fran, Lydia, Amy, Mim, Lea... the list goes on.

Some I've known since my birth (obviously my mom!), some since I was young, some I've met since being at uni and some I've only met once. Some are not too much older than me, and others are more than twice my age. But God has used them all in ways so beautifully, woven them in to my life for specific times and seasons and all have been an encouragement and support to me some how over the past few months.

Let me give you a more detailed example of this week.

Vicky, who has been an amazing support and encouragement to me whilst growing up, has kept in touch with me since I got back from Canada and I am now in her Lifegroup (when I'm not at Uni!). At the beginning of this week, she sent a short text with an invite to lifegroup on Tuesday and sent the address so I knew where to go. I know that seems really simple. It doesn't seem like a big deal. But that's just what I mean about someone looking out for me. She's done this since I was like 13, but since I got home this Summer, every so often she'll just shoot me a text and see how I'm getting on. I know she cares, and because I'm now part of her small group, I also get to hang out with a number of other people slightly older than me and do life with them too.

On Thursday morning, I went round Claire's. 2 year old Levi was at Nursery, and 4 month old Jasmine was happy to see me (yay!!!) but I was there to see Claire. She's almost 30 (she's not sure what she thinks about that!) and she's married with two kids, but when I'm back home, she doesn't mind me popping round for a couple of hours to chat and catch up, and talk about life and God and uni and whatever. I love hanging out with her. I love learning from her and doing life with her. I know that she cares about me and looks out for me, she makes time for me and cooks me lunch and listens to me talk on endlessly about whatever's going on in my life!! She's been there for me since my teen years when I would sit in her car after small group and tell her my doubts and fears and dreams and whatever else bothers a 17 year old... Claire has so much patience with me, and has seen me through some of my best and worst years!

On Thursday evening, I was invited round to Allenia's for tea. Her husband Matthew, and her 3 year old son, Judah were there too and we all talked for a while, but then Matthew went into the front room with Judah and Allenia and I stayed at the table and got lost in talk for the next two hours. I suppose it's what women do best... talk! Well we did it well. We don't know each other that well, but that wasn't a problem. It was the first time we've ever had a really hearty chat - and she jumped straight in with encouragement and challenge. She's committed to pray for me, and keep in touch to see how things are going as I lead the CU at Keele over the next few months. She has so much wisdom, and I'm thankful for her willingness to find the time to share it with me. I'm also super thankful for her creativity and the pillow-case she embroidered with my name and the words servant to all on. She prays I'll live a Christ-like life as I lead and serve my fellow students. I am thankful for women like Allenia. (oh and she's American! Love this!!!)

When I got home, I skyped with the lovely Rebecca. Even though she is no longer my boss, and we live in different countries separated by an 8-hour time difference, these are no hindrances. We still keep in touch and have plenty to talk about. She inspires me like no one else, and she is one of those people who I can honestly say, when I grow up (get just a little older...) I'd like to be like her. She is encouraging, passionate, organised, lovely, beautiful, strong and well.. just amazing. How blessed I am to have people like Rebecca in my life, who love and care for me and want the best for me in the LORD.

My mom has also been a star for me this week. A number of times in the past 7 days (including just last night!) she has sat on my bed next to me while I cried (for various reasons, you know girls just cry a lot sometimes!). But each time she was there. Letting me cry. Letting me talk. Or first getting me a hot water bottle and an extra blanket before curling up next to me... There's no one on earth like my mom. She's actually the best. I don't really tell her enough to be honest, but she is amazing. And she probably doesn't think she's doing a great job, but the life of prayer and service to God that she leads is inspiring and encouraging. She is kind, and she works at home, and she is a wonderful mother. I thank God for her!!


So it's taken me about three days to write this, as I did it in stages and when I had the time.
But I just wanted to share.
Answered prayers.
Amazing women.
Amazing God!

Hallelujah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment