Friday 3 December 2010

Rest a while.

The Pulley
By George Herbert


When God at first made man,
Having a glass of blesings standing by;
Let us (said he) pour on him all we can:
Let the world's riches, which dispersed lie,
Contract into a span.

So strength first made a way;
The beauty flow'd, then wisdom, honour, pleasure:
When almost all was out, God made a stay,
Perceiving that alone of all his treasure
Rest in the bottom lay.

For if I should (said he)
Bestow this jewel also on my creature,
He would adore my gifts instead of me,
And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature:
So both should losers be.

Yet let him keep the rest,
But keep them with repining restlessness:
Let him be rich and weary, that at least,
If goodness lead him not, yet weariness
May toss him to my breast.



I am learning.

We can work ourselves in to the ground.
But there's really no need.
People want us to do that. They don't realise, but they'll ask and ask and ask of us, as long as we say yes. And even when we say no. We're built for community, but sometimes we unknowingly take advantage of other people's kindness / inability to say "no".
Other people probably have no idea of my limits and capacity, not because they don't care, but just because we're all caught up in our own limits and capacities - and they don't extend to other people. They look out for Number 1.

So I can't make that meeting, or juggle four different responsibilities at once, or fit something else into my already crammed day.

I am set free, in knowing that God does not require of me any such thing. He doesn't judge me by how much I can fit in to 24hours. He doesn't love me less if I can't fit everything in and have to say no this time. He doesn't punish me for needing rest.

He asks me to love Him, and to love others.
He asks me to be humble as I walk with Him.
He asks me to not be scared, and to cast my worries on to Him.
He asks me to lay my heavy burden down before Him, and take up His light one.
He asks me to come to Him if I am weary and burdened, because He wants to give me rest.

Sure I have to carry my cross.
But that's something altogether different than running myself in to the ground, exhausting myself, over-working, people-pleasing and wasting time through busyness.

Oh how good my God is.
How kind and gracious and compassionate.
How much the rest of God can give us strength and joy and to ability to carry on.

Are you too busy?
Feel free to say "No" to something, and rest a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment