Friday 27 August 2010

I Survived

I returned yesterday, from a week away at a Christian festival / camp called Momentum.
It's the highlight of any young Christian's year, without a doubt. I haven't been for the past three years and oh! how I've missed it.

I missed the amazing worship, the foreshadowing of Heaven, singing God's praises side by side with just a fraction his church, giving Him all the glory. I missed Mike Pilavachi, his bad (but really funny) jokes and his banter with Crofty and Tim Hughes. I missed actively seeking God and expecting Him to move in big ways. I missed Soul Survivor Hot Chocolate.

I got to experience all this stuff in the past week!

One thing I haven't missed, however, is camping in torrential rain. By torrential, i mean TORRENTIAL. Severe weather warnings. Flooded tents (not mine, thank the LORD). Joggers so wet I could ring them out. The unfortunate realization that 'shower proof' is not waterproof.

But I survived.

And not only did I survive, I got to hang out with some completely awesome people.

Samantha Lola - the girl who made it happen, who wore her wellies all week, who stayed up late with me talking about boys, and who let me sleep in her tent so I could stay (remotely) dry.
Becky - the girl who lives in paris, who took a slight detour off the M5 to meet me in McDonald's and drive me to Shepton Mallet, who was using the burner when it exploded, who got just as fed up with the rain as I did, and who has a date tomorrow night that she's very excited about!!
Ben - the guy who I'd already heard about, who is wayyy over 6 feet tall, who pretended he had nothing nice to say when actually he really did, who I think only had one shower the whole week.
Jessie & Jeff - the couple who camped with us, who spent a lot of time cuddling, and who usually knew all the answers.
Rachael - the girls who's from the south, who came a few days later than the rest of us, who didn't bring much with her, who is also starting Uni this year, and who knew just what to say to make people laugh!
David - the guy with the beard who I met in Canada, who sat with us most evenings in the main meeting, who's mom is a LEGEND, and who I'm slightly jealous of as he's going back to Canada in two weeks.
Lea - the girl from home who has been camping for about 75% of this summer, who hadn't showered in a while and yet still looked hott, who I already miss since we, once again, live in different places, and who introduced me to the following people (thank you!).
Beckie - the girl who persuaded me to sing open mic by pretending that God was texting me (I don't regret one moment! thank you!), who has incredible hair, even after 5 days of camping, and who fell over three times in two days.
Immi & Ellie - the twins who I finally got to meet, who sang on the first night of Open Mic and set the bar high, who couldn't wait to hear me sing and therefore made me feel good, who have the most unusual fashion sense but who always look amazing.
Karl - the guy who I met at Xtreme, who had never been camping before this week (except that time when he was 11), who got in touch, and who graciously let me bore his head off with my incessant ramblings about Christians, theology, my dreams of being famous blah blah...

Proverbs 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another".

Thank you God, for meeting with me this week, in a quiet but real way. For surrounding me with encouraging people who love and look out for me. For providing me with friends and acquaintances whom I can both sharpen, and be sharpened by.

No comments:

Post a Comment