Sunday 13 March 2011

Setting Sun

I went for a short walk this afternoon, before it got dark.
To get some fresh air and to watch the sun set.
And to spend some time outside and alone with God, without distraction.

I walked and took pictures, and got really excited that the daffodils are already starting to bloom!!


It was cold out, but with the sun on my face, I really didn't mind the temperature.
And I decided to turn back early, so I could find an ideal spot to watch the sun setting..

Whilst walking to find the perfect spot a thought occurred to me.
It's one thing to be 'where the light is', it's completely different to be 'living in the light'.
(that is something I'd like to expand on when it's not gone 1am in the morning.. but this was quite a significant thought for me today..)

So, anyway. Other thoughts.
Ideal spot, found.
I stood and watched the sun go down, until it was hidden behind the horizon.

I thought of God, and what it's gonna be like when Jesus comes back, or even in Heaven. I think it will look a little like the sunset I saw today.. definitely more splendid and awesome.. I prayed that Jesus would come back soon. (Not because I don't like living, just coz I feel like "to live is Christ and to die is gain" - what Paul was saying in Philippians. But so often I don't feel like I'm doing a great job at the 'living is Christ' part, and I don't want to die necessarily - but I do wanna be where God is everything, where He's at the centre, getting all the glory, and where I have no worries and stresses but I can just be. And so if Jesus returns soon, before I die, then yeh.. all will be well :) complicated thought process perhaps but in my head it makes sense..!)

I also thought of Japan, and how fragile our world is. I prayed for Shizuka and Kaori, my two friends that I lived with in Canada, who are living back in Japan. I prayed that God would be strong, for them and for everyone who is being and has been affected by this terrible disaster.

As I started walking back, I crossed paths with a new friend of mine, who was also out walking and praying and was just going to watch the sun set. (Thank you LORD for your timing!)
We talked about our thoughts, about church this morning, about Japan and about our great God who is steadfast and strong.
She encouraged me in a number of things, and when we talked about the earthquake and how I had been praying specifically for the girls, she reminded me that we can't fully rely on the earth we live on, and that it is not the ground that is holding us up - it is God, by his mighty hand.. She talked about how creation is revealing God to us all the time, and yet even creation isn't a full image of what God is like, we get an incomplete picture. Yes, God is in the beautiful sun set that illuminates the sky and warms your heart.. But the earth is fallen. The earthquake and tsunami that have killed hundreds in Japan is not reflective of our God.. (Although, they do fulfill prophesies in the Gospels when Jesus warned that in the last days these things would happen...)

All in all, a lovely and thought-provoking conversation. And what inspires me most about this friend of mine, is that she views all things through a godly perspective; God is always on her mind and she can see Him at work all the time.

I pondered on those thoughts for a while as I walked back to my block.
I began to feel the chill of the cold air as the sun found its way out of our sky for the day and the temperature started to drop rapidly.
I walked quickly.
Home in no time.

Keele is such a beautiful place to live.
So much nature, so much of God's creation, right there, practically on my doorstep.
I hope to take advantage of more sun sets like that.
And I hope to see more of God, in more things as I go about my days.

Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment