Saturday 19 March 2011

Bitter Sweet

I'm sat at my laptop this evening, watching Do the right thing, a Spike Lee movie from the early 90s. (We're studying it in my New York class next week, I didn't just randomly choose to watch it..)

I can't believe how shocking it is.
It's about racism in Brooklyn and at first I wasn't sure what to expect from it coz it started off pretty funny.
But by three-quarters of the way through the movie, when the fight scene broke out, I realised that there was no way it was going end happily.
Probably not one I'd recommend but it definitely makes you think about the state of our world..


This quote roles up before the closing credits.



On a lighter note though, I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and I have officially caught the travelling bug.
I suppose that my time in Canada, and ventures to a few different states in the US already mean I'm prone to catching said bug.. but in the book, she spends three months in Italy simply because she wants to learn to speak Italian.

Quiero viajar a España porque quiero hablar mejor español..

I'm not sure if this is how they would say it exactly. But (translated) 'I want to visit Spain because I want to speak better Spanish'...
I've been thinking about it for a while, and I've also fully accepted that there is no way (well, not no way*, but you get me!) that this will be possible this year.

Now, I've been to Spain a few times before, but quite obviously, tanning by the pool all day, walking along Spanish beaches during the evening, even shopping til we drop in Barcelona and whatever else ensues on two-week family holidays, hasn't seemed to help me much with learning their language.
No, I mean, one day, maybe, I think it would be nice to spend some time there (I haven't figured out how long yet), away from the tourist attractions, out in the country somewhere, immersed in the culture, eating proper Spanish food and getting a real opportunity to speak the language..

Ahh, one can dream, right?
:)

Buenas Noches, mis amigos.


*Luke 1:37 - For with God, nothing shall be impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment