Monday 11 October 2010

Meet the Girls.

This afternoon I plucked up the courage to walk down the hall, knock on Elly's door and ask her if I could join her while she jams out on her Uke.

One of the best decisions I made this week I feel :)

Elly is a new friend of mine. She lives in E block avec moi, just a few doors down the hall. Hails from Congleton (near/in Stoke). Loves Owls. Had orange hair once upon a time. Plays the Ukulele. Sings beautifully (with the coolest British accent might I add). And she writes and performs her own music.
She's nothing short of a legend.

And so I sat and sang a few harmonies while she played today.

And soon after, Lisa came to join us too.
Lisa is also a new friend of mine. She, too lives in E block avec moi, next door to Elly. Hails from the Cambridge area (St. Neots of all places!!). Has a nose piercing like me. Loves trampolining, working with kids, volunteering, giving out plasters to people and being the 'mum' of the group.
She's incredibly passionate and asks lots of questions. A girl after my own heart...


So Elly played and sang, and Lisa and I sang along too, and we revelled in our mutual love for both Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. And then when Dan let me borrow his guitar, we had two instruments and three voices and it was just pure awesomeness, occurring before our very eyes.
Before we knew it, we realised we were only one girl short of being our very own Girl Band (unfortunately Amy wasn't here this afternoon!)

By 7.45pm, having being taught 5 chords on the Ukulele and feeling rather accomplished, we set down our instruments and set about finding food, since none of us had eaten tea yet although we were all really hungry but had just being having too much fun to notice our rumbling tummies!

*...pot noodle.
*international students.
*pub quiz....

We ended the evening with Cadbury's Hot Chocolate, chocolate digestives and a good old natter to put the world to rights. The conversation went from boys, to work, to God, back to boys, to kids, to more serious topics like abuse and poverty and religion and life...
There's nothing like your girlfriends to have a good proper chat with.

I do miss my old friends, in Canada and in Halesowen...
But I'm making new ones.
I'm making memories.
And I'm having fun.
Thank you LORD.

me, amy, elly, lisa
the girls

No comments:

Post a Comment