Monday 6 June 2011

Irresistible Revolution #2

I haven't yet got past the intro. It's a shame really coz I have lost the urge to just sit and read.

It's to be expected really, but I'm not sure why. I've only been a 'reader' for about 18 months now, and I have recognised already, the serious difficulty I encounter when I attempt reading factual / teaching / theological books.. I seem to only enjoy stories, tales, novels, poems, and the odd biography here or there (but creatively written and by about an interesting person!).

I have the desire to read them, but as soon as I start, I sub-consciously switch off and give up. Many a book has ended up at the side of my bed, collecting dust as I neglect to read it.

I feel like I should be reading books like this, but I just find them dry and although challenging, not massively inspiring or gripping... They don't capture me and can't manage to hold my attention.
It's a shame really, and it's not that I don't like the book, or that I don't intend ever to read it!!
It's happened with Velvet Elvis (Rob Bell), Don't Waste Your Life (John Piper), Courageous Leadership (Bill Hybels), Crazy Love (Francis Chan) and others until now this one, Irresistible Revolution (Shane Claiborne).

All well known and top selling authors.. but perhaps just not for me.

I shall persevere with this anyway, and see where I get to.
Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment