Tuesday 14 June 2011

From the Kitchen...

You might be happy to know that the time I get off Uni is being put to good use! Slowly but surely I am working my way up the ladder of domesticated accomplishment and so far I think it's going very well.

I started during Easter break with with the most important thing: baking. Cookies, tiffin, rock cakes, brownies and other chocolatey treats... Then moved on to some essential main courses (similar level of importance to baking sweet delicacies but not quite) with lasagne and cottage pie. I also own a rice cooker which is helpful, so I am capable of using the three basic carbohydrates...

On the weekend, having finished uni for Summer and already begun to tackle the pile of ironing that's been building up since my return, I decided it was time to make my first Victoria Sponge. (This is my favourite type of cake and it seems like a necessary dessert to be able to make...)
It actually turned out really well and since it was quick and easy, I made another (this time with help from mom after she'd finished making fresh pasta). This one was even better, so we took it next door as a gift for our neighbour on her birthday. This was it:

The Victoria Sponge

The only challenge I am experiencing along this journey to domesticated competency is that in most cases, whatever I bake, I eat. And whenever I'm bored (which is currently quite often) I tend to flip through one of Delia's cook books to see what I can make. I had more desserts today than I did actual meals... I either need to take up some form of exercise, or find myself a different, less calorie-consuming pastime....!

No comments:

Post a Comment